Wireless Networks Lab (WNL) is a ‘Megagrant’ lab established in 2017 around the project on Cloudified Wireless Networks for 5G and beyond, led by Prof. Ian F. Akyildiz. The project aims to design a novel cloud architecture for wireless networks based on software-defined networking and network function virtualization concepts and essential management tools which allow satisfying the requirements for 5G and beyond.
Our areas of interest include
- Dynamic reconfiguration of the cloudified networks, which allow significantly reducing telecom operator CAPEX and OPEX while providing high quality of experience for the end users.
- Traffic classification in wireless networks.
- Resource allocation for heterogeneous traffic in multi-RRH environment
- Cooperation and coexistence for the technologies working in licensed and unlicensed spectrum (including LTE-U, LAA, Wi-Fi coexistence)
- Centralized algorithms for managing multihop mmWave networks, including fast link setup and beamforming algorithms, routing algorithms, and resources scheduling algorithms.
- Ultra-reliable low latency communications
- Massive Machine-Type Communications
- Visible light and Terahertz Communications
- WNL members Evgeny Khorov and Ilya Levitsky present Video Streaming with the NOMA over Wi-Fi prototype at IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2019) (January 27, 2020)
IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) was held in Waikoloa on Hawaii, USA, on December 9-13, 2019. GLOBECOM is one of the IEEE Communications Society’s two flagship conferences dedicated to driving innovation in nearly every aspect of communications. On GLOBECOM 2019, WNL members Evgeny Khorov and Ilya Levitsky presented a Video Streaming with the NOMA over Wi-Fi prototype. The presentation was demonstrated on the Industry Demo “Video Streaming with the First-ever NOMA over Wi-Fi Prototype” and included prototypes for NOMA Access Point (AP) and NOMA station (STA) based on software-defined radio (SDR).
- Head of Wireless Networks Lab Evgeny Khorov Participates in The Moscow Financial Forum 2019 (September 13, 2019)
The Moscow Financial Forum will be held in the Manege Central Exhibition Hall in Moscow on September 12 – 13, 2019. This is an annual event organized by the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation and the Government of Moscow. Head of Wireless Networks Lab Evgeny Khorov will participate in the promising discussion dedicated to the potential of the young generation. The title of the session is «Youth as the main resource for achieving national goals».
- WNL Members Evgeny Avdotin, Dmitry Bankov, Evgeny Khorov and Andrey Lyakhov Receive Best Paper Award at the IEEE PIMRC 2019 (September 13, 2019)
WNL members Evgeny Avdotin, Dmitry Bankov, Evgeny Khorov, and Andrey Lyakhov have received the Best Paper Award at the 30th 2019 Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (IEEE PIMRC 2019). The conference was held in Istanbul, Turkey 8-11 September, 2019.
- WNL Head Evgeny Khorov presents a Tutorial on Wi-Fi at IEEE PIMRC 2019 (September 12, 2019)
Head of Wireless Networks Lab Evgeny Khorov has presented tutorial entitled «Wi-Fi in the 2020s» at the 30th 2019 Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications which was held in Istanbul, Turkey. The talk opened a conference tutorial session on September 8, 2019.
- WNL Patent on a New Wireless Hypervisor (September 2, 2019)
WNL lab has registered a patent on AirHype, a Wireless Hypervisor for 5G technology. AirHYPE is a part of a novel Architecture for 5G Systems (ARBAT) which was presented by WNL members I.F. Akyildiz, A. Kak, E. Khorov, A. Krasilov, and A. Kureev in the paper, called ‘ARBAT: A Flexible Network Architecture for QoE-aware Communications in 5G Systems’ published in December 2018 in Computer Networks.
- Wireless Networks Lab supports National Developments in the Internet of Things on Technical Committee Workshop (August 22, 2019)
The Workshop of Technical Committee 194 «Cyber-Physical Systems» was held on August 20, 2019, in Innovation Center Skolkovo, Moscow. Experts of WNL s took participation in the promising discussion represented by industrial companies, universities, researchers, and experts from the international level telecommunication and high technology realms.
- [Seminar] August 14, 2019 – Artem Krasilov – Ultra-reliable low-latency communications in 5G systems (August 14, 2019)
Title: Ultra-reliable low-latency communications in 5G systems Speaker: Artem Krasilov, Wireless Networks Lab Senior Researcher, IITP RAS, Russia. The talk is dedicated to the Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communications (URLLC) which is one of the three main usage scenarios for 5G. It is envisioned as one of the enablers for future vertical applications such as industrial automation, remote robot control, e-health, autonomous driving, and so on. Such applications typically require that a wireless network shall deliver packets within a very short delay budget (less than 1 ms) and at the same time provide ultra-high reliability (higher than 99,999%).